My name is Kelley and I am obsessed with fitness, nutrition, health, self-experimentation and getting a sick tan. #jackedandtanplan
I have a Bachelor of Journalism with a major in public relations from Thompson Rivers University (TRU) in Kamloops, British Columbia, and I work as a full-time marketing and communications specialist and part-time (side hussy) as an online nutrition coach. Basically, I read, write, edit, scan, and post to social media all day errrday.
The purpose of this blog is to provide a narcissistic platform where I can talk about things that interest me, my friends, my family and work through my shit…a journal, but public, like any good millennial would do. This is not a professional portfolio, this is my blog, where you will get my opinions, sans discretion and sans proper punctuation and grammar.
I have been interested in fitness and nutrition since I was a kid and bought my first online nutrition book when I was 14. At that point, I became obsessed with nutrition, counting calories, diets and consuming everything I could get my hands on to learn more. I counted macros by HAND well before the days of MyFitnessPal. But, as times change, so too do my opinions on nutrition and health.
I am unapologetic for my thoughts, opinions, use of language, and questionable sense of humour. I use profanity, senseless over-the-top ironic hashtags and I abreve a lot—if you can’t keep up, keep moving.
“Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, learn from it. If not, let it roll right off you,” – Hilary Clinton.
Random Facts About Me
1. My dad was born in Ireland…so that makes me half Irish.
2. My nickname is K-pups, abbreviated to Pups.
3. I was born in Vancouver, BC but grew up on Gabriola Island. Yep, a straight-up island. I had to take a ferry to school. This built an incredible level of character and a knack for time management and organization that has served me well.
4. I played University basketball and had plans to play professionally in Europe.
5. I discovered Crossfit and have been doing that for over 6 years as a training methodology.
6. I am stubborn. Like straight up, won’t take good advice, stuck in my own ways, MF stubborn.
7. I love fitness, nutrition, health, hormones, performance, sports, science… next-level nerd.
8. I have been through some shit…who hasn’t.
9. I don’t like the outdoors unless I am on a beach somewhere. I don’t LOVE really long hikes. I don’t love camping. I don’t like how hiking boots look. I dislike being cold. I like to shower frequently, and I don’t enjoy eating food from a can or cleaning dishes outdoors…none of it. I do love trail running, the ocean, the mountains, fresh-cut grass, and nature.
10. I have a tattoo that says “BE HAPPY” to remind me that life is good and I should just be happy.
11. #12 is my lucky number
That pretty much sums me up in a nutshell. If I was to compare myself to a celebrity, I would classify myself as a younger less witty, less successful, Tina Fey, with a touch of Mindy Kaling, minus the Indian and a dash of Jillian Michaels without the six-pack. So basically I am just a loud opinionated brunette who likes to joke around, mostly at my own expense, workout and be mad for no reason. I am competitive to a fault and if I lose or get frustrated I just might throw a shoe at you. My blog is a place for me to write sarcastically and not be too serious or academic. If you want some good old fashion scientific info, recipes, workouts or nutrition coaching check out Jason Phillips, Biolayne, Examine.com, Suppversity, Breaking Muscle, Body Recomposition, Tim Ferriss, Robb Wolf, Whole 9, or my fave little lady Paleomg. These cats have some seriously interesting shiz to talk about and some badass recipes to share.