My name is Kelley and I am obsessed with working out (Crossfit more specifically), nutrition, health, self-experimentation and getting a sick tan. #jackedandtanplan
I have a Bachelor of Journalism with a major in public relations from Thompson Rivers University (TRU) in Kamloops, British Columbia and I work as a full time university content specialist. Basically I read, write, edit, scan, post to social media and monitor ad campaigns all day errrday.
The purpose of this blog is to provide a narcissistic platform where I can talk about things that interest me, my friends and my family. This is not a professional portfolio, this is my blog, where you will get my opinions, sans discretion. You might not agree with me or the way I throw down my opinion, and that’s totally cool with me.
I have been interested in fitness and nutrition since I was a kid and bought my first online nutrition book when I was 14. At that point I became obsessed with nutrition, counting calories, diets and consuming everything I could get my hands on to learn more. I counted macros by HAND…this was before the days of MFP. But, as times change, so too do my opinions on nutrition and health.
I am unapologetic for my thoughts, opinions, use of language, and questionable sense of humour. I use profanity, senseless over the top ironic hashtags and I abreve a lot – if you can’t keep up, keep moving.
“Take criticism seriously, but not personally. If there is truth or merit in the criticism, learn from it. If not, let it roll right off you,” – Hilary Clinton.
12 Random Facts About Me
1. My dad was born in Ireland…so that makes me half Irish.
2. My nickname is K-pups, abbreviated to Pups.
3. I was born in Vancouver, BC but grew up on Gabriola Island. Yep, a straight up island. I had to take a ferry to school. This built an incredible level of character and a knack for time management and organization that has served me well.
4. I played University basketball and had plans to play professionally in Europe.
5. I discovered Crossfit and I have become obsessed… a full time cult member.
6. I am stubborn. Like straight up, won’t take good advice, stuck in my own ways, stubborn.
7. I love fitness, nutrition, health, performance, supplements…total #healthnerd
8. I have a Boston Terrier named Izzy. She is adorable but crazy as fuck.
9. I don’t like the outdoors unless I am on a beach somewhere. I don’t like long hikes. I don’t like camping. I don’t like hiking boots or how they look. I hate the cold. I like to shower frequently, and I don’t enjoy eating food from a can or cleaning dishes out doors…none of it. I will likely never be “one” with nature, although I do love trail running and ocean activities.
10. I hate recreational activities such as ultimate frisbee, curling, recreational sports or anything where unskilled people can act really hardcore, use speed hands and wear “gear”.
11. I am a glass half empty kinda gal. I know I know, no one wants to be around these kind of people but I just can’t help it, I was born with a stormy outlook on life. I have a tatoo that says “BE HAPPY” to remind me that life is good and I should just be happy.
12. #12 is my lucky number
That pretty much sums me up in a nutshell. If I was to compare myself to a celebrity, I would classify myself as a younger less witty, less successful, Tina Fey, with a touch of Mindy Kaling, minus the Indian and a dash of Jillian Michaels without the six pack. So basically I am just a loud opinionated brunette who likes to joke around, mostly at my own expense, workout and be mad for no reason. I am competitive to a fault and if I lose or get frustrated I just might throw a shoe at you. My blog is a place for me to write sarcastically and not be too serious or academic. If you want some good old fashion scientific info, recipes, workouts or nutrition coaching check out Jason Phillips, Biolayne, Examine.com, Suppversity, Breaking Muscle, Body Recomposition, Tim Ferriss, Robb Wolf, Whole 9, or my fave little lady Paleomg. These cats have some seriously interesting shiz to talk about and some bad ass recipes to share.